Monday, May 7, 2007

5 Films...

So, here's the skinny on why this here blog exists. Every year at CalArts, something of upward of a hundred character animation students work busily and tirelessly to make short student films. These films get compiled into an EIGHT HOUR ANIMEXTRAVAGANZA called the OPEN SHOW which they screen in the illustrious CalArts Cafeteria, and this year I was lucky enough to make it down there and see it!

Eight hours is an awfully long time to watch student films, but amongst all the trial and error, every so often a real treasure will pop up. For the most part, these treasures are compiled into a program called THE PRODUCER'S SHOW, a 90 minute show chronicling the best of the best that the open show has to offer. This year's PRODUCER'S SHOW is coming up this Thursday in North Hollywood, and to be sure it's going to have some really fantastic films in it!

But every so often, the PRODUCER'S SHOW judging panel just messes up. The panel is made up of the faculty and staff of CalArts' Film and Video department. They sit for eight hours watching films, writing scores, and when all is said and done, they tally the results and thus the PRODUCER'S SHOW LIST is born!

The following are five short films that you won't see in the PRODUCER'S SHOW, but they all definietly deserve to be there. I know this because I too sat through all eight hours of the OPEN SHOW, and these five films really shone bright as clever, charming, and creative pieces of art. No one knows why these guys got the snub from the judging panel, to me it seems ridiculous, but I figured these films deserve as much credit as any that got in the show.

So without further ado, I present to you 5 FILMS that you won't see in the Producer's Show, but I think they'll knock your socks off anyway. ENJOY!

---------

"PreHysterical" by Joe Pitt


"Special Delivery" by Steve MacLeod


"A Primer of Chess" by Jules Soto


"Functional Design" by Christian Robinson


"Way Back Home" by Bert Youn

12 comments:

Frank Spalteholz said...

"... and these five films really shone bright as clever, charming, and creative pieces of art ..." your right and i enjoyed watching all of them! thanks a lot for sharing your art!

greets frank

Rafi said...

wow, all 5 are EXCELLENT films. thanks so much for posting these - very inspiring! The first two are my faves.

Rafi said...

actually, the third one is also superb!

Olivier Ladeuix said...

I am a CG animation students and I have to admit that I am always surprised to see that most of the shorts are animated using the least amount of frames. Is is a stylistic choice or because of the little time they can allocate to it?

Alex Orrelle said...

These are so good I am enraged with envy. If these DIDN'T get in to the show - I don't want to know what did.

Ian Worrel said...

Little bit of an upset this year. Good work Adrian.

jojo said...

thanks a bunch for posting these!

Olivier Ladeuix said...

I forgot to say that my favourite are "PreHysterical" for the acting, Special Delivery for story and "A Primer of Chess" for the character design (awesome)

Sezura said...

Adrian,

Thanks for posting these up, I remember seeing these films in the open show and enjoying them. I thought Joe's film was really sweet and Jules' film very inspiring.

I remember seeing a lot of really well made films not making it into the producer's show. Oh well :(

Take care and Hopefully we'll get the chance to play dodgeball again.

Jesse

Juanma said...

HEY ARE YOU THE DUDE WHO MADE THE STUDENT FILM.
UNICORN VS NARWAL??
BECAUSE I SAW IT ON YOUTUBE FEW MONTHS AGO, AND I THINK IT´HAS GOT MARVELOUS THINGS!

Adam Pockaj said...

Special Delivery was awesome. I love films like that. Stories that seem silly at first (a guy falls in love with a cactus), but are told with such heart and sincerity that it is completely believable. Awesome storytelling.

To answer Oliver's question, i think time plays a big part in it. These films are quite long for student films. I couldn't imagine fully animating that much screen time in just one year. I'm studying animation at Sheridan College in Oakville, Ontario and here they recomend student films to be around 1-2 minutes in length. Really short, but that makes completion possible. Though it makes me wonder if we waste time on clean-up and colour if all we want to do is animate or storyboard. Perhaps it is better for student films to serve as more of a demo reel than as a finished theatre piece. I'll have to think about that over the next couple years. After all, I'm still learning.

JoR said...

just discovered you, and you give us this treasure...
thanks!